Recently I had the pleasure of being introduced to Matthew Fox through a mutual friend and when I heard about his achievements and what he was up to, I was eager to interview him.
Matt was a professional Tennis player, playing all over the world including living and playing for professional clubs in the Netherlands.
Matt was struck down with cancer for a period of time, however you’ll hear his determination in not letting anything get in the way of what he wants to achieve, and he was able to turn this situation into one of positive reflection for his future goals.
We cover Matt’s leap of faith into his new business Bodyweight Built and how he teaches and trains people, getting them into excellent condition by using natural body movements.
I found this fascinating as Matt is really ripped. He is in amazing condition and he doesn’t lift weights. His gains are all through natural exercises.
We cover the ideology behind this plus where Matt is heading in the future. There’s a theme throughout about not staying in the comfort zone as the greatest gains in life come from outside of it.
I really enjoyed this episode with such an inspiring and driven man and have taken plenty away from it.
Please enjoy this conversation with Matthew Fox.
My Biggest Take-Aways
- If you keep doing what you’ve always done, you’ll keep getting what you’ve always gotten. The first few steps are the hardest and require a bit of a leap of faith, but you’re no good just staying in the comfort zone. By taking the leap, things then tend to start falling into place.
- Weights and weight machines don’t reflect the functional movements that we evolved with naturally.
- Intensity over duration
- Working major body parts all together rather than isolating small muscles will get better results
- In terms of what’s changed the most and changed me physically would be the training only
- Diet does have a great deal to do with it but if you’re not training right for your body and you don’t know what to do, then I don’t think it will make a difference.
- Matt works with calories in verses calories out. It has worked the best for him and it isn’t restrictive of any food groups
- If you’re eating enough for your body and enough for your goals, then you don’t need the supplements
- Instagram allowed Matt to share this with the world and gather great momentum
- Do what makes you happy. Life’s too short to just wake up every day and absolutely hate what you’re doing when you don’t have to be doing that. Do what makes you happy and try and make a living from it.
- When you have a baby, you don’t have to stop everything. To a certain degree they’ll fit in with your life too.
- I want to go to businesses and help employees get fitter which will ultimately help the workplace be a better place a happier place, and I’ve seen that with my own place of work
2:00 Where did sport and fitness start for you?
3:55 What was it like being home-schooled?
4:55 The Tennis chapter
6:40 Bouncing back after cancer
9:45 How Bodyweight Built came about
13:45 What does a usual workout look like for you?
16:00 How about diet?
19:25 What was the transition into sharing this with the world
20:30 How do you get your clients?
21:25 The Youtube opportunity
22:05 Getting published and boosting your brand
23:00 How do you start your day?
24:05 What’s it like being a father?
24:25 Where do you see your business going in the future?
27:35 Can anyone work out this way?
30:25 What is the greatest piece of advice that you’ve ever been given
31:45 Back on taking that first leap into business
34:45 What would your 12 year old self think about who you’ve become?
35:20 What else are you passionate about?
36:15 Any tips for travelling for with young children?
37:20 The Big 5
- Finally deciding to actually do it. Taking that step to put myself out there
- Getting recognised by those magazines
- Surrounding myself with good people
39:00 What is your favourite quote?
The meaning of life is to find your gift and the purpose of life is to give it away – Pablo Picasso
39:55 What are the best books & blog-posts that you’ve ever read?
School of Greatness – Lewis Howes
Tony Robbins’ books
40:50 Best Movies, TV Shows & Documentaries?
The Divine Matrix – Greg Bradden
42:05 What are your predictions for your industry in the next 5 to 10 years?
Online is where the majority of people are heading.
Virtual reality training
43:00 Did you achieve your goals that you set yourself over the last 12 months?
Yes. Finding my real passion and turning that into an income, but there’s obviously more and they keep changing and as you tick one off you add another so there’s always more.
43:45 What goals have you set yourself over the next 12 months? Are there any that you’re willing share with us that we could help by keeping you accountable?
Travel full time and not having to be based solely in one spot for too long. To live in Thailand (Phi Phi island for a few months). A few months in Europe then Australia whilst creating a 6 figure income.
44:25 Who are you looking to connect with?
Life coaches and business owners
Going into workplaces and getting the health and fitness for employees and doing a bit of team building there
9:45 Bodyweight Built
22:05 Men’s Fitness
22:05 Muscle and Fitness
40:10 Tony Robbins
40:10 Lewis Howes
40:30 Warren Buffet
41:10 Now We Are Free – Lisa Gerrard
41:20 The Divine Matrix – Greg Bradden
This episode is brought to you by our good friends at Tondo Digital.