I first had the pleasure of meeting Sid about 12 years ago. The most memorable moment of us reconnecting was when he called me out of the blue one day with an idea that he had to show me. I said ‘Yeah I’m just at my office’ and he said ‘Great, I’ll be there in 5.’ What he showed me was an incredible invention that he had had designed, manufactured and patented. This is Sid, always inventing and then backing it up by selling it just as hard as he worked to create it.
Sid owns several companies including VX Homes, Tavo Media and TuCan. He works damn hard, and has great personal development practices too including meditation, affirmations and a vision board that he refers to daily.
This was a great insight into the creative mind of the forever inventing entrepreneur.
Please enjoy this conversation with Sid Umesh
My Biggest Take-Aways
- Sid’s ability to hustle, to take on a number of projects at once and to follow up with selling that product once it has been created
- Sid not knowing anything about how to use his media skills in the real world is another example of the need for schools to teach business
- Australian made really matters to Australians when it comes to boutique apparel
- Sid has a vision board with goals that he looks at every day
- Managing Multiple projects hack: Have a set time each week to work on a particular project. Sid sets aside 1 hour per week to work on a particular side project so he knows that it isn’t being neglected and is always advancing. This also seems to help clear his head when he’s working on his main projects as there’s no last minute ‘what should I work on next’ situations arising
- Bootstrap it! YouTube & Google are amazing platforms to find and learn almost anything
- Removing bias from research by stopping telling people that it was his product and started telling people what he worked for a company with a new product
- Are you busy or are you productive?
- Sid has a daily diary habit. He can look up what he did on any given day over the last 6 years. It has greatly helped his memory too.
- ‘There are no failures, only learning, only growing’ – Tony Robbins
- ‘Am I hunting antelope or field mice?’ Tim Ferriss
- ‘We’re the average of the 5 people we hang around with’
- Advice on getting a mentor: Follow people up. If you think there’s value there for each other, follow through. Can I take you out for a coffee?
- Sid has affirmations stuck up in his shower that he reads aloud every day
- ‘People are just people at the end of the day. It shattered this whole image in my head. If I can do this, I can do anything ‘
4:15 Stories of a young Sid
11:00 Sid’s first hustle
14:00 The Hsemu Clothing venture
18:35 The Kickerz story
22:00 The TuCan story
30:15 Managing multiple projects hack
32:35 ‘Are you busy or are you productive’
35:55 Sid’s daily diary habit and an exploration on memory
36:20 A huge conversation about Memory and different tools and tactics
45:25 The TaVo Story
49:35 How did you know that your business partner was the right fit?
53:05 Putting it our there and therefore being accountable
54:40 A 10 minute conversation about Bitcoin & Cryptocurrency
1:04:05 How did you relationship with your mentor come about?
1:05:40 How would you suggest one go about getting a mentor?
1:10:10 Advice from Wes to a young up and coming promoter
1:15:10 Sid’s on the cusp
1:19:05 The Big 5
- Selling Hsemu clothing as a well-dressed rep and making it look bigger than it was, to stores on Chapel Street.
- Working with a BMW Young Rich Lister that he read about
- Understanding that ‘People are just people at the end of the day. It shattered this whole image in my head. If I can do this, I can do anything ‘
- Getting Kickerz aired
- Attending a Buddhist Meditation that set him on his inner path
1:26:30 What is your favourite quote?
‘Whether you think you can or you think you can’t, you’re right’ – Henry Ford
‘If you’re not growing, you’re dying’
‘Comparison is the thief of happiness’
1:29:00 What are the best books & blog-posts that you’ve ever read?
Awaken The Giant Within by Tony Robbins
The Secret of Deliberate Creation by Dr. Robert Anthony
48 laws of Power by Robert Greene
Think & Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
The Four Agreements by
Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki
1:30:20 Best Movies, TV Shows & Documentaries?
Back To The Future
There Will Be blood
City of God
1:32:05 Flashback to NotchIt
1:34:55 What are your predictions for your industry in the next 5 to 10 years?
Real Estate is headed towards Virtual Reality
People will become more ad more resourceful and start doing more things themselves.
Marketing is all Facebook & Instagram, so that is where real estate and videography is headed.
1:38:20 Did you achieve your goals that you set yourself over the last 12 months?
Yes, not all but about 60% of them. The others are still there, just a little delayed.
Building the table tennis/dining table was a big goal.
Launching Tavo Media House
1:39:50 What goals have you set yourself over the next 12 months? Are there any that you’re willing share with us that we could help by keeping you accountable?
Launching VX Homes – Virtual Reality walk-through home tours
Building TuCan on the side as well
1:41:20 Who are you looking to connect with?
People in the Real Estate realm
Who I think should connect with Sid?
Anyone with a start-up related question!
2:45 Donnie Darko
2:55 Terminator 2: Judgement Day
14:00 Hsemu Clothing
14:50 Tavo Media House
15:40 Hizz Clothing
20:20 Channel 31
24:45 Patent Pending
29:25 BRW Young Rich List
32:50 Gary Vaynerchuck
33:10 Tools of Titans
37:20 Darren Brown (NLP Master)
38:10 Daniel Dobos
38:10 Mental Blank
43:10 Tony Robbins
45:30 Tom Crotty
47:10 Tim Ferriss
47:20 ‘Am I hunting antelope or field mice?’
52:05 VX Homes
52:10 Mark Cordy
1:07:55 Sid’s Table Tennis Table (See Below!)
1:35:30 Fairhaven Homes
1:37:40 Derek Sivers
This episode is brought to you by our good friends at Tondo Digital.
Sid’s Table Tennis/Dining Table – Months of hard work paid off 🙂